Saturday, January 19, 2008

Back Home and Back to Work

Now I know why Eddie misses China so much when he goes back to Hong Kong - it does tend to get under you skin (and fingernails - I've been constantly cleaning mine).

Our trip has been much in my mind since I returned home on Thursday to a hot and muggy Auckland after a hot and uncomfortable flight. Apparently the plane had temperature problems. I've been used to feeling cold rather than hot on the last several journeys, and dressed accordingly, so it was difficult to sleep in the unexpected heat. I watched 5 episodes of Flight of the Conchords, some of the Extras episodes I'd missed and some Kath & Kim - enough to keep me amused for a few hours. During the night, I finished off the dried lichees I'd brought along.

Thursday afternoon was spent strewing stuff around after unpacking, putting the houseplants back in place, catching up with people and thinking about an early night. Which didn't happen.

On Friday I went back to work, to read my email, do a few library-related jobs and catch up with workmates. The car battery was flat, so I called the AA for help, and luckily didn't have to wait the promised hour - I was on my way in about 10 minutes, as the mechanic was nearby.

The weather was still hot and muggy, with the promised thunderstorms not appearing. I found it difficult to sleep with the heat and humidity, and finally dropped off at about 2.30 am.

Saturday has therefore been a very quiet day. I helped Eddie catalogue some of his possessions for about 2 hours, had a sleep, and haven't done much else - not even the dishes. They can wait till tomorrow.

No comments: